Ibec Engineering Sectors and EMD Ireland Joint Innovation Forum
06 September, Sheraton Hotel, Athlone
Ibec’s Medtech and Engineering Sectors and EMD Ireland Technology Gateway Cluster will jointly host an event to showcase the capability amongst 6 Technology Gateways relevant to the Medtech and Engineering industries in Ireland. The Technology Gateway network is run by Enterprise Ireland in partnership with Institutes of Technologies nationwide. The Gateways provide close-to-market technology solutions that allow companies to develop new products, processes and services by leveraging the research expertise available within each Institute of Technology. Each Gateway offers specialised expertise and provides innovative technology solutions aligned to individual industry needs.
This event will provide delegates with an update from each of the six Technology Gateways about their capability, resources, track record and future strategy. The event will also include industry case studies and a comprehensive overview of all the different ways in which companies can engage with the Gateways, from innovation vouchers, partnerships and so on.
About the EMD Cluster Gateways
- APT Gateway is based in Athlone IT and provides polymer and technology solutions for industry in the medical, composite, recycling and pharmaceutical sectors. APT is equipped with sophisticated analytical equipment including SEM, DSC, FTIR, XRD, GPC, HPLC, etc., as well as a variety of pilot scale processing equipment (3D polymer printing, extruders, injection moulders, blow moulders, etc.). APT is a dedicated resource for the Irish polymer manufacturing industry and regularly provides training and information dissemination, as well as production demonstration days for companies:
- CREST Gateway is based in DIT and provides coating innovation solutions for industry in the engineering, construction, healthcare and biomedical industries. As the only dedicated surface coatings laboratory in Ireland, CREST offers expertise in areas such as protective coatings for challenging environments, surface treatment of metal components, coatings for environment applications and biomedical devices. The centre has over sixty years of commercial surface coating experience to provide an outstanding level of service.
- Design+ Gateway is based in I.T Carlow and provides a wide range of industrial design expertise in the areas of engineering, ICT & Software, and Bio Lifesciences. The gateway enables industries to define and develop new products and concepts in a highly creative manner, drawing on a broad spectrum of technical, business and marketing expertise.
- MET Gateway is based in GMIT and is an interdisciplinary technology centre providing world class solutions for the Medtech and general manufacturing sectors. The Centre develops novel technologies relevant to both clinical research and Medtech companies operating in the design application phase. MET provides expertise in Medical Imaging Technologies, Biomedical engineering Technologies/Solutions, Data Analytics and Visualisation and Design Engineering and Verification.
- PEM Gateway is based in IT Sligo and provides a unique single industry support offering in precision engineering, manufacturing and materials. PEM provides expertise in precision engineering and design, manufacturing process modelling and simulation, advanced process monitoring and control and advanced material syntheses & characterisation. In-house specialisms include the development of complex micro and nano scale structures using techniques such as laser machining and welding for polymers and electro-chemical machining.
- SEAM Gateway is based in WIT and facilitates the development of technology solutions through collaboration and access to expertise in the Irish research infrastructure. SEAM provides innovative materials engineering solutions for companies from a wide range of sectors, including bio-medical devices, pharmaceuticals, micro-electronics, precision engineering and industrial technologies. SEAM has expertise in X-Ray Micro-tomography (XMT): 3D Non-destructive characterisation, Finite Element Analysis: 3D Software Modelling, 3D Metal Additive Manufacturing, Materials & Precision Engineering: engineering design & characterisation and Bio Medical Engineering: Development of Novel materials.
About the Hosts:
EMD Ireland Technology Gateway Cluster
EMD Ireland, a cluster group of six gateways within the engineering, materials and design sector was
established in 2016 to provide a broad range of expertise to industry. This cluster consists of APT (Athlone Institute of Technology), CREST (Dublin Institute of Technology), Design+ (Carlow Institute of Technology), MET (Galway Mayo Institute of Technology), PEM (Institute of Technology Sligo) and SEAM (Waterford Institute of Technology). The EMD Ireland Cluster assists companies with Enterprise Ireland funding mechanisms in the form of Innovation Vouchers, Innovation Partnerships and Innovation Partnership Feasibility Studies. Companies can also directly fund their work with the Gateways.
Medtech and Engineering Sectors, Ibec
Ibec is the national voice of business in Ireland. Ibec represents the interests of business in Ireland and provides a wide range of direct services to its 7,500 members. The Irish Medtech Association, Plastics Ireland and the Irish Engineering Network are three Associations are part of the Ibec Medtech & Engineering umbrella and represent the interests of same.
09:30 – Registration
10:00 – Welcome Ibec / TG, Dr Sinead Keogh, Director Irish Medtech & Engineering, Ibec
10:10 EI engagement – Paddy Bryne, Enterprise Ireland
10:15 SEAM – Ramesh Raghavendra, Gateway Manager
10:30 PEM – Alan Heron, Gateway Manager
10:45 CREST – Brendan Duffy, Gateway Manager
11:00 Case Study 1
11:15 Case Study 2
11:45 APT – Sean Lyons, Gateway Manager
12:00 Design+ – Ailish Delaney, Gateway Manager
12:15 MET – Dr Florin Stefanov, MET Technology Leader
12:30 Case Studies 3
12:45 Case Studies 4
13:15-14:00 Expo and Lunch